so if you're to skool for cool....

9:21 PM

a few weeks back i put up a facebook status debating if i should go back to school or not. it kind of made me laugh because everyone i talked to was like "umm why is this even a question??". as if when in doubt always go back to school. it kind of bothered me because to be honest i really just wanted to say to everyone "really? like it's that easy."

i work for an orthopedic surgeons office. my job is well....not every stressful to say the least. i work in the front office, pretty much just check people in and put the charts up for the doctor. i check if your address is right in the computer. i check if your insurance is correct. i check if your phone number is correct. i check if we are sending it to the right billing office. i check and check and check...ALL DAY LONG! if it wasn't for the fact that i work with some pretty amazing  people all day long i might shot myself. so i was kind of longing for more. long story short an opportunity came up about possibly being a medical assistant for one of the doctors in my office. i worked with the ma's for like an hour one day just to see if this is even anything i would like. i loved it! at this point im thinking "done! im going back to school"

grace and i decided to meet with an advisor at one of the private trade school in flag. after about 2 hrs there we are almost hooked. drum roll please how much money will it cost you to have your dream job?????

40,700!!!!!

yeah....i will give you a second to re-read that number. done? good. it will cost is 40,700 each for 2 years of school for an AA to be a medical assistant. are you joking me? dane will have a little under that when he graduates in student loans after 4 years and a bachelors. not to mention that ma's don't exactly get paid the big bucks. they for sure make decent...but not enough to pay off 2 student loans anytime soon. so here came the next question....

is being a medical assistant worth putting a lot of our plans for our future on hold? that means babies....wait another year or so after dane graduates. that house that i just for some reason need sooo soon? try another 5 more years. i had to ask myself a few other questions:
  1. am i just killing time at a decent job with decent pay with no responsibilities until its time for me to push out babies? 
  2. do i really want a career?
  3. do i even really want to be a medical assistant? or is this just a convenient opportunity? 
  4. dane is done with school in 18 months...mine is 24. do i make dane wait for me to be done to move? does dane move wherever we end up moving and then i meet him there?
  5. is going back to school worth only seeing dane no joke on saturdays and sunday since it would be at nights during the week??
with a lot and i seriously mean a lot of thinking...i came to my choice. no school. there is just to many variables now. maybe i am just killing time 'til i start pushing out 15 kids. maybe i will go back to school when the kids start getting into kindergarten or first grade.maybe i won't ever go back and this was just a phase? there a few things i don't know....but a couple that i do.
  1. i should enjoy this time i have with dane. i work my job 8-5 and don't think twice about it when i get home. that's rare for me. every other job i have had i am bitching and complaining the second i get home and it's all i can think about. no responsibilities? good. maybe i don't want them.
  2. i should be 100% sure if i want to go back to school for 40 grand. i'm not. i need to take my time
  3. it's not the end of the world if i don't go back to school soon. i have my whole life.
....to sum it up: my life is just fine. 
i blog. i bake. i watch way to much netflix with my best friend almost ever night & he loves it just as much as i do. i have great friends at work. if it's not broke...don't fix it :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't like that to most people our value or worth is based on a degree. Not whether we are happily married, good parents, etc or whatever but how much "success" you have achieved. I mean school is awesome and all that but I am not one who wants to be in debt for my degree. Partly because once I do get married I would like to stay home with my kids, and what would be the point of racking up debt, If I wouldn't be the one contributing to pay it off. So If there are ways to get around the debt and it's important to the person then I think it is awesome. (That's what I am doing) because right now school is basically free with financial aid, otherwise it would be near impossible for me to even take one class a semester.


    Good luck Jenna!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.